More than 20 years ago, the IT Security program at Ruhr-Universität Bochum (RUB) was the first of its kind in Germany. Since then, many students have successfully graduated, some of them even earning a doctorate in Bochum to start their careers from here. We present some of these graduates in our new series "Alumni of the Month". They will tell us what they learned in Bochum and how they have progressed since then.
HGI-Alumni of the Month:
Dr. Felix Schuster
Then & Now
- 2011: Degree in engineering
- 2015: Doctorate IT Security
- 2022: Team leader Cyber Defence, BITMARCK
- 03/2019 - today: Founder and CEO of Edgeless Systems GmbH (Bochum)
- 10/2015 - 02/2019: Researcher at Microsoft Research (Cambridge)
- 02/2021 - 07/2015: Researcher & PhD, Chair of System Security, RUB
- 07/2011 - 01/2012: Consultant at SEC Consult (Vienna)
- In my studies: With the necessary discipline, one can familiarise oneself with any subject in a few days.
- In professional life: One should always start with the problem and not with the technology or the solution.
Bochum is a great place because ...
... the Ruhr-Universität brings a lot of talented people to the region.
Personal exchange possible at the Alumni Lunch
You have questions and would like to exchange ideas directly with Dr. Felix Schuster? On Tuesday, 22 November 2022, from 12:30 to 1 p.m., all HGI alumni, doctoral students and students are cordially invited to participate in our interactive lunch break (via zoom). Under the motto "Feel free to ask me anything" and in a relaxed atmosphere, exciting insights into the practical experiences and everyday life of an ITS expert and founder can be gained here.
Click here for the alumni lunch via zoom link
IT Security made in Bochum - Alumni Network at LinkedIn
In our alumni network "IT SECURITY made in BOCHUM" former students, doctoral candidates and researchers with a connection to IT security at RUB are invited to connect and discuss. All alumni of the study programs IT Security (Bachelor/Master) as well as all former employees (PhD students, researchers and administrators) of the Horst Görtz Institute for IT Security (HGI) at the RUB are welcome in our network, as well as alumni of related study programs like Computer Science or Applied Computer Science.
We welcome all new members of the constantly growing community!
General note: In case of using gender-assigning attributes we include all those who consider themselves in this gender regardless of their own biological sex.